Wake up in the morning to Sweet, warm spiced carrot cake with brandy, dusted with powdered sugar. Perfect to dunk in your morning latte.
Quick History on Carrot Cake.
No one really knows where carrot cake really came from. According to food historians our modern carrot cake descended from Medieval Carrot Puddings. Since sugar and sweeteners were difficult to find and expensive in the middle ages in Britain, carrots became a substitute for sugar. Most likely the European settlers imported carrots to the Americas.
In the 20th century carrot cake was reintroduced as "healthy alternatives" to regular desserts. This was due to popular demand - and misguided informtation- of healthy foods.
I remember baking my first carrot cake when I was 9 yrs old for a summer camp project. I cannot tell you with certainty if that cake came out great, all I know that it is one of my favorite cakes to make. It is a great cake for Easter, Mother's day or Fall. You can bake it all year round!
Here is my other favorite Apple Cider Spiced Cake, get the recipe here.
What you will need to make this Easy Carrot Cake with Brandy.
This cake comes together fairly quickly. It is very easy and you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator. Here are the ingredients that you will need.
- Unbleached All Purpose flour - I didn't try with any other type of flour so the results of this cake are with the ingredients I am listing.
- Baking Powder and Soda - always check how fresh these are. They lose their freshness after six months after opening (even if their are not expired)and therefore resulting in a flat cake.
- Spices - These will give the cake its warmth. I used Badia spices: Cloves, Nutmeg, Cinnamon and Salt.
- Unsweetened Apple Sauce - I cut some calories by using apple sauce. It can be used in place if the recipe calls for oil.
- Carrots - You can use any carrots. For a fun twist, use multicolored carrots.
- Sugar - In order to cut some carbs and calories I used Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetner, golden and powdered sugar.
- Crushed Pineapple - Not all crushed Pineapple is created equal. I use Dole or Fresh. It does make a difference.
- Eggs - You can use any eggs. Those with bright yolks are usually the best.
- Brandy - This is my favorite ingredient to add to any cake. It will not only make your cake moist but it will give it a boost. I used E&J Vanilla Brandy. You can use your favorite. Bourbon also works on a cake like this.
Let's Make and Bake this Cake!
Alright, this is it. You are almost there. We are in the clutch. These are the steps to successfully make this cake.
- In a bowl stir AP Four, Baking soda and powder, sugar, spices and salt.
- Add the eggs and unsweetened apple sauce. Mix until combined. Don't over mix.
- Stir in carrots, pineapple and brandy.
- Grease a Bundt cake pan and pour mixture.
- In a preheated oven bake at 350 for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Slide a knife in the corner of the cakes to separate from pan. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Invert and cool off completely in a rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Baking helps me relax and brings my anxiety down. This cake it is easy to make and you can enjoy with latte or black coffee. Also with a cold glass of milk.
Now go bake you some carrot cake with brandy!
If you make this recipe don't forget to tag me on Instagram @hungrytravelingmama
Pin it on Pinterest for later!
Easy Carrot Cake with Brandy
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cup + Spoons
- Spatula + Whisk
- Baking Mold + Sheet
- Grater + Peeler
- 1 ½ cup grated peeled carrots
- 3 large Eggs
- ⅔ cup Unsweetened Apple" Sauce
- 1 ⅓ cup AP Flour
- 1 cup Sugar ( Used Lakanto Golden)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 11/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Cloves
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Salt
- ⅓ cup Pineapple Juice
- 3 tbsp Brandy (Used E&J Vanilla)
- Powdered Sugar for Dusting (Used Lakanto Powdered Sugar)
- Preheat Oven at 350 degrees.
- All Ingredients must be at room temperature.
- In a bowl whisk AP flour, baking soda, Baking powder, sugar, spices and salt.
- Add Apple sauce and eggs and stir until combined.
- Stir grated peeled carrots, pineapple juice and Brandy. Stir again until all is combined.
- Grease a Bundt Cake Mold and pour mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Using a knife, slide it around the cake to detach and invert. Let it cook on the rack.
- Dust with Powdered sugar.
- Enjoy and Buen Provecho!