Remember when I made a Mascarpone Bourbon Roasted sweet potato pie? Well now let's make that pie into pancakes. This is the Pie recipe that inspired this Sweet Potato Pie Pancakes with Bourbon and Mascarpone.
Sweet Potato is the star of these pancakes
Sweet potato is one of my favorites and I can eat it all year round. In Puerto Rico we call it Batata which is a Taino word. We usually use it for Cocidos or Caldos. I am not really a fan of Batata in savory dishes but in sweet recipes I am all for it.
Ingredients to make these Sweet Potato Pie Pancakes with Bourbon and Mascarpone?
**See the Recipe Card Below for complete measurements**
This is a basic pancake recipe and I just added a few ingredients to make fancy pancakes! You probably have a lot of these ingredients in your pantry. I tested this recipe with the ingredients listed, any substitutions will alter the end result so keep that in mind.
You will need:
Roasted Sweet Potato - I like to roast my own sweet potatoes. This gives the dish great flavor. If this is not your thing, you can always used canned sweet potato.
All Purpose Flour - I have tried different kinds of AP Flour and King Arthur's Unbleached is my favorite. Trader Joe's AP Flour is a great option too.
Baking Soda and Baking Powder - It is important to always check the expiration date on these. Using expired Baking Powder and Soda will alter your baking or it might ruin it altogether. If you have some in your pantry, check it, if expired toss it and replace it!!!
Brown Sugar - I use brown sugar because when it is mixed with the sweet potato it creates a caramelization and enhances the flavor of the pancakes.
Unsalted Butter - I like to use Tillamook unsalted butter. Melting and adding the butter to the mix will create a delicious crust around the pancakes.
Spices - You can't have sweet potato pie pancakes without adding spices! Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Cardamon are my go to spices. Pure Vanilla extract is all I use.
Coconut Milk - I used coconut milk because it gives the mix a creaminess. Regular Milk, Oat Milk, evaporated milk are great substitutions.
Eggs - Regular eggs, brown eggs either one are ok. If you want to make this truly vegan, use Bob's Red Mill's Gluten free Egg Replacer.
Mascarpone - I love using this Italian creamy cheese for its consistency. Cream Cheese can be a great substitution. Also you can leave it completely out.
Bourbon - Four Roses Bourbon is my favorite. It's aroma and warmth add a layer to any baked good. So why not add it to pancakes! Brandy or whiskey are great substitutions. Not a fan of Bourbon? Skip altogether.
Let's Make These Sweet Potato Pie Pancakes!
This is my favorite part! A well buttered griddle will help you make the best pancakes.
- Start by mixing all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Next in a separate bowl mix eggs, milk , vanilla, pumpkin puree and bourbon.
- Then Slowly add the dry mixture but don't over mix. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat and butter a griddle. Using a ¼ cup pour mixture into griddle. Once the bubbles start to appear on the pancakes that means they are ready to be flipped. Repeat with the rest of the mix.
- Lastly, drizzle warm maple syrup and candied pecans!
Pro Tip: Heat the oven at 200 degrees and place pancakes in a baking sheet pan, this is a way to keep them warm until ready to serve.
You made yourself some pancakes! Easy Peasy right?
If you are a novice cook, making fluffy pancakes take some practice but you can do it!
Storing and Reheating
Storing: Line a baking sheet with the pancakes and freeze for at least 30 minutes. This will prevent the pancakes to stick to one another making it difficult to separate once they are frozen. Then store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer for up to three months.
Microwave: Remove desired amount of pancakes and place in a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 10 mins at a time until heated to liking.
Toaster: Place pancakes in the toaster. Use level 3 in the toaster until heated to liking.
Frequent Asked Questions:
Yes, you can. When using Whole Wheat Flour your pancakes will have a grainy texture since the flour tends to be denser. So instead replace ⅓ of AP Flour for Whole Wheat Flour. Also when using Whole wheat Flour pancakes may spread if they are cooked immediately. So let the mixture rest for at least 30 minutes. Lastly, Whole Wheat flour in baking and mixes takes a bit of practice and trial and error.
You can use Pumpkin Puree, Taro, Ube and even smashed yellow plantain. Add Blueberries or blackberries and ricotta cheese! You can always experiment and try new combinations!
Absolutely! First, let the pancakes cool. Then cut squares of parchment paper. Next place the parchment paper in between pancakes and place them in a resealable bag or container with lid. The pancakes freeze well for up to three months.
I make muffins, waffles, cake loaf which I then turn into French toast! One the funnest things about experimenting with the mix is all the goodies you can make!
Here are Other Recipes with Bourbon
- Bourbon Roasted Sweet Potato Pie
- Easy Apple Cider Spice Cake
- Fig Apple Cider Bourbon Smash
- Easy Challah Mascarpone Blueberry French Toast Casserole
If you make this recipe I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below.
Easy Sweet Potato Mascarpone Bourbon Pancakes
- Mixing bowls + Whisk
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 3 tbsp Monkfruit Sugar Substitute
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cup Coconut Milk
- 3 tbsp Butter melted
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- ⅓ cup Roasted Sweet Potato puree
- ½ tbsp Cinnamon
- 4 oz Softened Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 tbsp Four Roses Bourbon
- In a bowl combine Flour, Baking powder, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Sugar. Whisk until everything is combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine milk, eggs, vanilla, Sweet potato puree, butter and Bourbon. Whisk until everything is combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Heat griddle and melt 1 tbsp butter. Pour ¼ cup of pancake mixture.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until bubbles form. Flip. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Plate, top with candied pecans and drizzle with maple syrup.