Is Die Hard a Christmas movie? Well Yes, yes it is! Here is a cocktail inspired by John McClane's Famous line : Yippee Ki Yay, well you know the rest! This is the Yippee Ki Yay Die Hard Cocktail, a combination of spirits, liqueur, with a bit of sweet and spice making it the perfect holiday cocktail!
Here are other popular Holiday cocktails:
Die Hard is a Christmas Movie!
There is a long debate whether or not Die Hard is a Christmas movie! But I am here to tell you that it is, no debate here!
It takes place on Christmas Eve when John McClane a NYPD officer is visiting L.A. to spend Christmas with his estranged wife and kids. John arrives to the office Christmas party in the Nakatomi Plaza, when Hans Gruber and his pals take over the building holding McClane's wife and coworkers hostage creating chaos! Of course McClane makes it his mission to save the day!
The movie debuted in July 15, 1988 and ever since has become a pop culture classic. From the outrageous actions sequences to the famous catchphrase to Hans Gruber falling from the Nakatomi Plaza!
Fun Facts about Die Hard that most people don't know:
- The movie was based on the Nothing Lasts Forever Novel written by Roderick Thorp. Then later a script for the movie titled The Last Boy Scout. Which was later then changed to Die Hard.
- The famous catchphrase Yippee Ki Yay, Mo****** wasn't scripted in the movie, Bruce Willis said it as a joke, and never thought it would make it to the final editing of the movie.
- Die Hard almost didn't happen. The movie faced so many obstacles from financing, the director turned it down because he wasn't interested in a movie about terrorist and finding the actor who want to play John McClane.
- Bruce Willis wasn't the producers first choice or third choice for John McClane. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kurt Russell, Sylvester Stallone, Burt Reynolds and RoBert DeNiro were considered for the role. Once Willis was casted they rewrote the character to suit Willis' acting style.
- Bruce Willis at the time was considered a comedic actor - his biggest roll was in Moonlight - the studio execs didn't want to featured him in the promotion posters in fear that the audience wouldn't pay attention to a "funny" guy so instead the Nakatomi Plaza was featured.
- The Nakatomi Plaza is actually the Fox Plaza, the 20th Century Fox building, the company that produced Die Hard.
- Die Hard was Alan Rickman's major movie debut. He was a classical theater actor. He had no gun training so they had to hire a gun expert to show him how to shot and handle a gun.
What you will need to make the Yippee Ki Yay Die Hard Cocktail
To make this cocktail you will need a variety of spirits, and liqueur. It is a loaded cocktail so as always drink responsibly. I got the inspiration from the Christmas themed Cocktails served at Christmas themed bars like Miracle on 5th in Austin and Miracle in 2nd in Seattle.
You will need:
- Bourbon - I love Four Roses Bourbon. I have used this bourbon in Sparkling Apple Cider Bourbon Sangria, Fig Apple Cider Bourbon Smash, and Sweet Potato Pie Bourbon and Mascarpone Pancakes.
- Rum - My go to is Don Q Rum, it's Puerto Rican Rum. It is also the only Rum I trust when I make my Famous Coquito Recipe. For this recipe I am using White and Gold Rum.
- Licor 43 - a Vanilla Spanish liqueur. I have used Licor 43 in my Birthday Cake Cocktail.
- Stroopwafel Liqueur - Most recipes I have seen use Orgeat Liqueur but for my preference the flavor of Orgeat is very strong so I use Stroopwafel Liqueur. This is a Total Wine Exclusive flavor and you can buy in mini bottles.
- Pineapple Juice - I use Dole because it is not overly sweet.
- Cayenne Pepper - It gives the drink a hint of spice with all the sweet and alcohol that is just the perfect combination!
- Barware - You don't need fancy or expensive barware to create great cocktails. You will can use any cocktails shaker or a mason jar. A jigger and a champagne class. Any glass will do.
The Mixology in the Yippee Ki Yay Die Hard Cocktail Cocktail
**The Recipe card is below contains complete and exact measurements to create the Cocktail**
I like to Freeze champagne glass for about 30 minutes.
Then I add three or four ice cubes into the cocktail shaker. Add the White and Gold Rum, Bourbon, Licor 43, Stroopwafel Liqueur and pineapple juice.
Then vigorously, about 10 shakes.
I make sure to strain and pour the mixture into the frozen Champagne glass.
Sprinkling a dash of Cayenne Pepper and Garnish with a rosemary sprig.
HO HO HO Now you have a cocktail!
- What can I use intead of Stroopwafel Liqueur?
I have used Orgeat from Monin in the past but because of its strong almsond flavor I rather use Butterscotch or Caramel Iiquer.
2. Do I need expensive Barware to make a cocktail?
You really don't. When I first started making cocktails at home, I set a a goal to have a minimum of items in my bar cart. I's rather spend money on the Spirits and Liqueurs. In this blog post I wrote about basic items that a must in a bar cart without breaking the bank.
3. What can I use instead of Licor 43 in a cocktail?
It is hard to find a substitute close to Licor 43 but Tuaca - an Italian vanilla flavored liqueur with Brandy. Any Vanilla flavored liqueur is also a great substitution. I have used Vanilla flavored Brandy as well.
4. Do I need to freeze the Champagne glass?
It is really not necessary. I am not using ice for the glass, freezing the glass will keep the cocktails cold a bit longer.
5. Is Die Hard really a Christmas movie?
Yes, it is!!!! Now go and make you a cocktail!!!
More Popular Cocktails:
I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below if you make this recipe! Share it with your friends!!!
Yippee Ki Yay - Die Hard Cocktail
- jigger + bar spoon
- Cocktail Shaker
- Champagne Glass
- 1 oz Bourbon - I used Four Roses
- 1 oz White Rum - I used Don Q
- 1 oz Gold Rum
- 1 oz Licor 43
- .05 oz Stroopwafel Liqueur or Orgeat
- 3 oz Pineapple Juice
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper
- I like to Freeze champagne glass for about 30 minutes.
- In a cocktail Shaker pour all ingredients except Cayenne Pepper.
- Shake Vigorously about 10 times until foamy.
- Stain into a champagne glass.
- Sprinkle a dash of Cayenne Pepper. Garnish with Rosemary.
- HO HO HO Now you have a cocktail!
Leave a Reply